When I need a simple but also healthy meal on a hectic evening, Smoked Salmon Cakes are one of my go-to’s. You hardly even need a recipe for them but I’ll show you how we make them and why there are never any left over!
We are big fans of smoked salmon and eat it often. It’s full of flavor and versatile so I can make many different meals with it. Smoked Salmon Cakes is one of our favorites ways to use it and it’s also one of my go-to suppers when I’m short on time.
They’re also great for a crowd. If we have unexpected friends coming over for dinner or even lunch, I can grab a few jars of salmon and whip these up in no time.
I have shared all about our process of smoking and canning the wild salmon that my husband catches each summer. This provides us with delicious, healthy smoked salmon to enjoy all year. It’s ideal for dips, burgers, pot pies, and especially these cakes.
Ingredients for Smoked Salmon Cakes
- 2 16 ounce jars of smoked salmon (If you don’t have your own smoked salmon, you can order from one of the many fishing families up here in Alaska.)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I just grate up a piece of homemade bread, sourdough is best!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Tools You Will Need
- Mixing bowl and spoon
- Shallow dish
- Cast iron skillet
How to Make Smoked Salmon Cakes
These are so simple to make! These are just the basic ingredients. You can add other spices and herbs, sauces, and more or less breadcrumbs to your taste. They are so versatile and you can’t go wrong, make them your own!
- Set aside 1 cup of the bread crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Heat up the cast iron skillet and cover the bottom with some olive oil, or cooking oil of your choice.
- Add the smoked salmon, eggs, remaining 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, and a few dashes of salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Mix ingredients together with a large spoon or your hand until well combined.
- Use your hands to scoop up about 1/4 cup of the salmon mixture and form into a small patty.
- Transfer to the shallow dish and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Gently set in the skillet.
- Allow to cook for several minutes, until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Very carefully turn each cake over and cook for another minute or two until lightly browned on the other side.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!
How to Serve Smoked Salmon Cakes
These make filling dinner with a simple salad or other vegetable on the side. They also make a great appetizer when expecting company. I’ve even made them for lunch!
This recipe will make about 15 salmon cakes, depending on how large they are. This is enough for our family of five to enjoy three each, which is the perfect amount. If I’m expecting company, I’ll double the recipe, which is very easy to do.
We like to eat ours plain as they’re full of flavor on their own. However, feel free to try your favorite dipping sauce with these.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and also enjoy mixing it up to make it your own! Canned salmon is so handy and a delicious way to enjoy a quick, healthy meal.
Print the Recipe
Smoked Salmon Cakes
- Mixing bowl
- Large spoon
- Large Skillet
- 32 oz canned smoked salmon
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cover bottom with olive oil.
- Put 1 cup of the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Add salmon, eggs, and remaining 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs to the mixing bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until combined using a large spoon or your hand.
- Using your hands, take about 1/4 cup of the salmon mixture and form into a small patty.
- Tranfer to shallow dish and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Place gently in the skillet and cook for several minutes until lightly browned on one side.
- Very carefully flip the cakes over and cook for another minute or two until lightly browned on the other side.
- Tranfer to a serving dish and enjoy right away!