Hi! We’re the Harlow’s.
I’m Lisa, Alaskan born (but not raised) and now I’m back in the Last Frontier with my own family! My husband, James, is in the Army and we have three daughters and a baby boy. Five years ago we bought and renovated an old log cabin in the Interior and now we’re living a sweet and simpler life here in Alaska.
I’m a stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of four. However, I grew up in the city and went to college for retail merchandising. Years ago, my husband was stationed in Germany, and living there opened my eyes to more natural living. Then, we moved to Alaska and it was life-changing. I have found a simpler, more meaningful (for me) way of life. I replaced handbags with homemade bread, clothes shopping with cow milking, and channel surfing with knitting in front of a wood stove.
My husband has found new passions as well. He hunts for all of the meat our family eats and catches our fish. We have poultry for eggs, a dairy cow for milk, butter, and cheese, and bees for honey. Together, and with the help of our girls, we eat wholesome foods that we’ve worked hard for as a family and we’ve had amazing adventures along the way!
A Little More About Us
- Our log cabin sits on three acres that’s mostly covered with trees but we have an amazing view.
- Our property has a barn on it, which is hard to come by up here, but it was a year before we put any animals in it.
- We started with a few laying hens and now we have over 25 chickens, 2 ducks, 2 geese, a dairy cow, her calf, and 6 colonies of honey bees.
- We have always homeschooled our girls and living in Alaska provides amazing experiences for them.
- Our girls have been fishing, ice fishing, and hunting for black bear and caribou along with dog mushing, snowshoeing, sledding, ice skating, keeping bees, gardening, berry picking, camping, gold panning, and more.
- We love Alaska so much that we decided to plant our family here permanently.
We weren’t raised on farms so we’re learning as we go. We’re hunting, fishing, gathering, growing, raising, preserving, and experiencing the abundant resources that Alaska has to offer. Here is where I share our adventures!